Sunday, September 19, 2010

Eating Yourself into Major Health Problems


This is another example of someone experiencing disabling health problems and setting the stage for even greater health issues because of an unbridled appetite. Yesterday I was at the other local food market, a grocery store because it does not rise to the level of supermarket, that I frequent. It was early Friday evening and it was pretty quiet, such that the check-out lady was flipping through the advertisements in a local newspaper when I walked up to pay for my single item, a half-pound of that Mickleberry Baked Ham that I mentioned in the previous post. It was on sale, and I always snap it up when it is, because it is a little pricey. Even at full price though it is well worth it, because it is a delicious baked ham. One of the things I love about it is there's no sugar of any form added to it. It's just the pure taste of a perfectly baked ham. I don't know if there's any connection but lately the last couple of times I've bought it, I've found myself in a conversation about someone who became grossly overweight later in life and caused themselves unnecessary health problems. So when I stepped up to the register I said hello to her. She's someone I've struck up a familiarity with because she remembered me from the other local supermarket that I go to where she once worked. She immediately started lamenting the fact it was going to be a long slow night. She then allowed that she needs a job where she can sit down, and I agreed with her saying that I can't work a job anymore where I'd have to be on my feet either. She then said her brother can't be on his feet anymore. To which I asked how old he was. She shot back "he's 49". I replied incredulously "only 49". "He's still young" I said. When you get into your sixties 49 is young. So I asked what his problem is and she immediately said his weight. As he got older he just started eating more and more to where he's carrying the kind of weight that crushes your joints. She said he was never overweight and was a good-looking guy when he was younger. Then she proceeded to blame it on his wife, whom, I think it's safe to say, she has no love for. While she was still muttering on about her sister-in-law, I bid my adieu and walked out of the store.

So why am I sharing this with you? I guess because there are examples all around us of people who are systematically destroying their health, stamina and ultimately their lives as a result of their failure to take a step back and ask themselves a probing question like "Why am I doing this to myself?". Instead they resort to the mindless resignation of just doing the same thing over and over without any regard for the long-term damage being done. I guess that's the easiest thing to do. Besides, eating is a pleasurable activity and gives us that feeling of being loved. Remember that Pillsbury jingle, "Something lovin from the oven"? The problem is it's only love up to a point then the love changes to self-loathing. If this describes you, and you don't think the Pillsbury dough boy has a particularly appealing physique, then isn't it time you took that mental step back for some introspection as to why you do the things you do? That is where the journey starts, in the theater of the mind. If this post is speaking about you, then let the journey begin now.
Also Tip #5....

No comments:

Post a Comment